Red Bull GRC Indianapolis: Supercar Round 7 Recap
IN BRIEF: Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross driver Scott Speed posted a perfect weekend at Red Bull Global Rallycross Indianapolis, the series’ first-ever visit to Lucas Oil Raceway. With team owner Michael Andretti in attendance, Speed and Tanner Foust posted a 1-2 finish for the Indianapolis-based squad, with Loenbro Motorsports’ Steve Arpin completing the podiums.
HEAT RECAPS: Throughout the entire heat and semifinal portion of the weekend, Speed was on top in each of his sessions, carrying the momentum from a pole position forward into four wins in four sessions before the final. Joining him as heat winners were Cabot Bigham, Chris Atkinson, and Tanner Foust; Foust added a victory in the second semifinal as well.
MAIN EVENT RECAP: Speed took the holeshot from the top starting spot, as expected, but chaos ensued behind him as a number of drivers made contact. Fortunately, none of the nine drivers competing were knocked out of contention for the overall win, although Oliver Eriksson had to save a fully sideways car around Turn 3.
Speed and Foust would quickly settle into first and second, with Steve Arpin a close third. With Mitchell deJong unable to start the final due to electrical issues that knocked him out of his semifinal, Eriksson would take up the torch for Honda Red Bull Olsbergs MSE, pursuing Arpin for third place to no avail. Austin Dyne would round out the top five.
RESULTS: Supercar results from Red Bull GRC Indianapolis are as follows:
- Scott Speed, #41 Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross
- Tanner Foust, #34 Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross
- Steve Arpin, #00 Loenbro Motorsports
- Oliver Eriksson, #16 Honda Red Bull Olsbergs MSE
- Austin Dyne, #14 Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing
- Sebastian Eriksson, #93 Honda Red Bull Olsbergs MSE
- Patrik Sandell, #18 Subaru Rally Team USA
- Chris Atkinson, #55 Subaru Rally Team USA
- Cabot Bigham, #2 Bryan Herta Rallysport
- Mitchell deJong, #24 Honda Red Bull Olsbergs MSE, DNS
QUOTES: Driver quotes from the podium at Red Bull GRC Indianapolis:
Scott Speed, #41 Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross: “We had a great car all weekend, from the moment we pulled it off the hauler to the last lap of the final. The team did a great job and the track was unbelievably fun. This was the first time we were at a track that was predominately some sort of gravel mix, and every time we went out on the track, it was a little different. It was the most fun driving we have had yet—I’m glad that it happened here in Indy because it’s our home race and we have so many friends and family that get to come to this one.”
Tanner Foust, #34 Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross: “Today was pretty hard. I had two penalties in two out of the three heats. It was a lot of swimming uphill—that’s not the best situation and there was a lot of battling going on. To get in the middle of the front row of the final was a big thing for the team, and the guys have been great all year! I know it’s not a double header, but it’s amazing how difficult the weekend is. It’s so nice to be here in Indianapolis. I’m so excited to see Indy fans out here and to see a new sport. It’s a pretty fun battle, and we have a blast every weekend.”
Steve Arpin, #00 Loenbro Motorsports: “I think this weekend really shows what a rollercoaster motorsports can be. It’s very up and down. It was a fun weekend, what a cool weekend for us. It’s our first time with Derive Efficiency Systems on the car, and having JCB back on the car is great. We won a race with them and we did a yellow and blue car this weekend. Hats off to these guys at Volkswagen, they’ve been great and they kicked all our butts this weekend.”
FAST FACTS: Key statistics from Red Bull GRC Indianapolis:
- Scott Speed earned his second Supercar victory of the 2017 Red Bull Global Rallycross season, as well as the 13th of his career, on Sunday in Indianapolis. The victory ensures that Speed has won multiple races in each of his five Red Bull GRC seasons.
- Supercar points leader Tanner Foust earned his fifth podium of the season by finishing second for Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross. The team now has four 1-2 finishes this season, with two wins by Foust and two wins by Speed.
- Steve Arpin’s third place finish was his fifth podium of 2017, a personal single-season best. Arpin’s previous mark was four podiums last season.
- Oliver Eriksson scored a Supercar career-best fourth place finish in Sunday’s main event. Eriksson now has three top-five finishes in the 2017 Red Bull GRC season.
- Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing driver Austin Dyne earned his third top-five finish of the season by placing fifth in Indianapolis.
- Due to mechanical issues that forced him to miss his semifinal, Mitchell deJong was unable to compete in the main event of a Red Bull GRC race for the first time this season. deJong remains the highest ranking rookie driver in Supercar points at fourth place.
- Tanner Foust, 488
- Scott Speed, 462
- Steve Arpin, 455
- Mitchell deJong, 385
- Sebastian Eriksson, 383
- Oliver Eriksson, 371
- Chris Atkinson, 329
- Austin Dyne, 321
- Cabot Bigham, 312
- Patrik Sandell, 293
- Volkswagen, 34
- Honda, 28
- Subaru, 22
Photo credit: Louis Yio